Friday, October 27, 2017

Taiko Drumming by Jordan Florento



When my brother told me what Taiko was, I was amazed! The sounds were magnificent and the different sounds of different drums were so creative! Some were small and some were big, each playing a part of the song. At my first Leading Edge Rally, the Taiko team performed for the whole school and that inspired me to try out for Taiko.


The Taiko training was on Wednesday, 8:00 A.M. When I walked into the Taiko room, I was amazed about how many people signed up. When we divided into groups, we practiced the audition beat and people were still learning. Before that day, my brother had taught me because we both thought the audition was the next day. The Taiko member said that I drum very good.

There were about two to three practices. I noticed there were less people practicing and others weren’t interested anymore. I saw people get better and I too. Besides, we needed to work on our synchronization and playing the right part at the right time. When we tried playing the audition beat alone to see if we need help, it would be nerve racking and frightful. Some people went fast and sometimes messed up.

When it was day for the auditioning, it was scary. There was drums outside for people to practice before they go inside and perform. I was practicing and telling myself just to play the music and don’t focus on anything else. After that, I figured out that 8th graders were going next, I wished good luck to them and tell them “I hope you pass!” After that, the 6th graders go next. When they finished the audition beat, they heard them saying that they did bad and messed up and rushed. When it was my turn, I was very scared in the inside and confident in the outside. When I came inside the room, I saw Taiko members that were judges. They would write down stuff that is happening during the audition beat of each person. I played the beat and went fast at one part, then played the song well. I felt like I did splendid. After a week, my expressions teacher Ms, Meindl told me early that I have passed. I have informed some people that I know. After about one to two weeks later, there was a list on Ms. Meindl’s window about the people who passed. I saw my brother had passed and I was happy for the other people who had passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment